This question from Rogan McGarry is a cracker.
Whilst I am thrilled to be appointed as official spokesperson for 51% of the population (heh), the answer is both yes and no…
There are many schools of thought on this, but it’s important to make sure that you don’t look at “Feminists” as a homogenous group with homogenous ideas. It’s an entire body of theory in it’s own right, and whilst this may come as a shock to you, women are people, with their own ideas, perspectives, theories and experiences.
“Women are people” should be your starting point, and work back from that. Some feminists believe no. Some feminists say yes. I say that Woke Blokes can fuck right off.
Today’s episode explores this topic in your typical Téa way 🙂
Here’s my list of Do’s and Don’ts:
- Listen without judgement.
- Support without patronising.
- Let US (ie the women) lead the movement.
- Know when to shut the fuck up, or leave the room.
- Understand that other women have a different view to me and don’t think men can be feminists, and don’t necessarily want your input/opinion.
- Understand that Feminism is diverse, with a range of different perspectives and a rich history.
- Explain things to us, unless we specifically ask for your opinion.
- Deny our experience.
- Be creepy.
- Gaslight women into accepting porn, kinks and other traditionally unfeminist things.
- Take critique of patriarchy personally. Remember: Patriarchy is a phenomenon that has developed – it is not sentient and we aren’t blaming you for all of society’s ills.
- Talk over us when we are sharing a perspective.
- Send dick pics 😉
If you want to buy Invisible Women, feel free to use my affiliate link here.